Sunday, June 30, 2019

On Illustrations

I don't know about other people, but I'm getting really, really, really tired of seeing popular press articles about type 2 diabetes illustrated with photos of people pricking their fingers to get blood.

I mean, I know that unless you use a continuous glucose monitor, pricking your fingers is part of having diabetes. But it's not the only part. In fact, it's a very minor part. Controlling your diet is much more important.

But the finger jabbing seems to be a cliche for type 2 diabetes.

Another cliche I hate is that of a man and a woman, usually about 40 or 50 and trim, running along a deserted  beach, intended to illustrate exercise.

I mean, I know running along a beach would be good exercise, but how many people live near a beach, especially a deserted beach like the ones always shown? And if they were just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, how many would be slim and trim like the models? Maybe some, but not the majority.

Finally, the last cliche is the same attractive couple that was running along the beach preparing a salad in a perfectly appointed kitchen while grinning from ear to ear. "Diabetes is such fun! We can't wait to finish this delicious salad so we can go out to the beach again for some more running. If it's rainng, we can stay home and do some finger-pricking to prove we're really diabetic."

OK. I'm in a bad mood. I couldn't find a deserted beach and I ran out of salad fixings. Maybe tomorrow someone will come up with some more interesting popular-press illustrations.





No comments:

Post a Comment