Sunday, December 15, 2019

Soaked (Marinated) Vegetables

Sometimes one wants something a little crunchy, as well as tasty, and this fills the bill for me. I don't know where the recipe came from, so I can't give credit. I think a friend or relative took a Chinese cooking course and passed this on.

You can use turnips, radishes, cucumbers (boil whole for one minute), Chinese string beans, carrots (keep a long time), cabbage (short time), green pepper (short time), celery cabbage stems, etc. I like turnips or peeled broccoli stems.

2 cups water
2 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar (I use erythritol)
4 teaspoons salt
2 to 3 dried red chiles
3 cloves garlic
(szechuan peppercorns)

Wash vegetables. Cut into pieces if large.

Fill quart jar half full with soaking solution. Drop vegetables in. Keep in fridge at least 1 day. Then it keeps for about a week.

As you eat some of the vegetables, you can add more with a small portion of soaking solution.

I find this satisfies any cravings for something to chew on between meals. It's salty, slightly sweet, and slightly hot. You can experiment with vegetables until you find some you like.





No comments:

Post a Comment