Monday, February 8, 2021

CGMs for Nondiabetics

 The New York Times today had an article describing the experience of a nondiabetic who tried a continuous glucose monitor. (CGM).

 It's interesting, but it bothers me that affluent nondiabetics can get CGMs when many people who have diabetes cannot because their insurance won't cover them and they can't afford to pay out of pocket. Many people with diabetes probably don't even realize that CGMs exist, not to mention their benefit.

I once met a woman on an elevator in a medical building, and she said she had type 1 diabetes. I asked if she used a CGM and she didn't know what that was.

Today, many people with type 1 get insulin pumps along with CGMs. Type 2s less so. But I've always felt that people with type 2 should use a CGM shortly after diagnosis so they can learn what foods make their blood glucose go up. Different people have different reactions to carbohydrates. Some can eat rice with no problem but potatoes make their blood glucose levels soar. Others the exact opposite.

I'm sure that in the future CGMs will become common for type 2s, and insurers will learn that controlling blood glucose levels means fewer expensive complications, so they'll be willing to pay for CGMs, maybe not all the time but periodically to check and recheck.

I hope that future isn't too far off.
























1 comment:

  1. Hi, Gretchen, Vicki here, a voice from the past. If you see this you can contact me at whimsy2@hevanet.com. I'm 83 now and Very Healthy despite 2 tears of type 1 diabetes,
    if you discount the valve replacement I had about five years ago. All my limbs are still working well; I walk an hour every day. II'd love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete